Supreme Alto Saxophone, the new era
The culmination of one century of expertise
Eight years ago, we set ourselves a challenge: to design the best saxophone ever made. A saxophone that would rise above musical genres. A saxophone adapted to all kinds of music, playing styles and sound types. A saxophone whose ease and evidence of playing would induce a direct and immediate relationship to sound.
To better free themselves from musical genres and imagine the universal instrument, a team of saxophone testers of various genres was formed. No acoustic, mechanical, ergonomic, nor aesthetic detail was neglected.
Today, we are very proud to present the result of our research, the culmination of a hundred years of expertise, an instrument unanimously acclaimed by a very diverse team: the Supreme alto saxophone.
Ease and evidence of playing
The Supreme has all the qualities common to the models that preceded it, meeting the desires of all saxophonist profiles: beauty and care in the creation of the Balanced Action, the legendary suppleness of the Mark VI, the ease of the Super Action 80 Series II, the precision and elegance of the Series III, and the power and roundness of the Reference.
It is characterized by a perfectly balanced tuning, infinite sound colors, and a great ease of response. Its roundness and projection capacity make it an instrument that is both traditional and resolutely modern.
Offering unprecedented flexibility and ease of playing, it pushes the limits of playing by erasing the natural constraints inherent to the saxophone, allowing musicians to focus on the essential: the music, their creativity, their inspiration.
|Left-hand pinky finger keys with hinged toggle
Right-hand F#/F direct adjustment arm
New exclusive SUPREME engraving
New exclusive SUPREME Dark Gold Lacquer finish
Concept alto mouthpiece
Exclusively designed alto SUPREME case
In-house research has enabled us to push back the physical limits of the compromise between tuning, timbre and response:
- A new neck bore to improve the intonation of the octaves, the timbre and the general response.
- Redefinition of the key heights for a greater homogeneity of timbre.
- Reduction of the diameter of the low Bb and B key cups.
- Redesigned tone holes in terms of diameter and location for a greater homogeneity of timbre.
- A new bell that improves the intonation and low notes production.
Mechanics and ergonomics
Numerous innovations have also made it possible to optimize the ergonomics and mechanics of the instrument, contributing to an unprecedented enjoyment and ease of playing.
- 3-point concentric clamp for a better neck-to-body connection avoiding deformations of the clamp and tenon.
- The clamping ring of the socket is made of nickel silver, which brings density to this sensitive area. It is dissociated from the socket, which makes it possible to adjust its position.
- Direct arm between the right-hand F# and F keys allows for a finer and more reliable adjustment.
- Octave key system with Teflon inside the sockets which lighten the action. It also limits play, noise, and wear.
- Lightening of the C# correction system by repositioning the double tone hole.
- Hinged toggle on left hand pinky finger keys allows for greater ease of movement from one key to another.
- New front F key design that is more easily accessible.
- Redesigned shapes and placements of the side keys, facilitating fluid passage from one to the other.
- Shorter action of the right-hand pinky spatula keys (C/Eb).
- Shorter action of the octave key.
- Realignment of the height of the left-hand mother-of-pearl keys offering a more natural finger position.
- Use of rollers within key mechanism for greater fluidity.
The global aesthetics of the Supreme has been reconsidered. It evokes fluidity of play through sleek lines and roundness through the softening of angles. All key guards (low B and Bb, side F#, Eb, C, and the pant guard) and the bow reinforcement have been redesigned in harmony with the instrument.
The warm hue of the Dark Gold lacquer is reminiscent of the finish used since the 1940s.
The engraving is always a strong element for the identity of a saxophone. The Supreme engraving evokes a sense of universality. The genesis of the sound is embodied in the explosion mixing the plant design, a traditional SELMER engraving, with the cubes illustrating the structure of the metal molecules. The cloud caused by this birth, evokes the projection of air, movement, speed, and life. A disc in the background evokes a planet, echoing the notion of infinite space.
The Supreme Alto Saxophone comes with a Concept mouthpiece and a set of accessories designed specifically for it.
Supreme Alto saxophone case
Exclusively designed case realized specifically for the Supreme by our partner, BAM. Compact in size, it offers a large storage space and two detachable interior pockets. The straps provide great comfort when worn on the back. The night blue ABS shell is reminiscent of the color of the "S" featured on the key of the saxophone neck.
With an innovative and refined design, the Concept mouthpiece is made using the latest manufacturing technologies. Combining ease, richness of sound, and a great uniformity across all playing registers, the Concept is a model of detailed acoustic precision. Ligature and cap are included.
Supreme neck strap
Foam and leather neck band. Gold metal slider in the shape of the Henri SELMER Paris logo marked black.
A bi-material cloth made to the shape of the case: one side microfiber marked with the Supreme engraving pattern and the other side silk. It is placed on the instrument in the case to ensure maximum protection of your saxophone.
Round in shape, marked with the engraving pattern of the Supreme, this microfiber swab has at its center a thick absorbent foam for the most efficient cleaning process.
This swab is made of microfiber cloth, marked with the Supreme engraving pattern.
The grease stick is marked with the Supreme engraving pattern.
Photo credit : David Meignan