1954-1973 : the « Mark VI »
“Mark VI” drew its name from its position as sixth model since the production of the first saxophone in 1922. The inscription “Mark VI” can be found in several places on the saxophone; usually on the ring, sometimes on the bell and even occasionally on the body of the instrument. “Mark VI” was released to mark the 50th anniversary of the Gold Medal won in 1904 at the Saint-Louis Exhibition in Missouri. From 1951, Marcel Mule himself became passionately involved in the creation and development of the new Selmer saxophone. The production of “Mark VI”, a truly legendary instrument, continued for more than twenty years. It was distinguished notably by a new design of the octave key spatula and the left- and right-hand plastic thumb rests. Compared to the “Balanced Action”, the return to a smaller bore meant an improvement in the flexibility of play while still preserving good projection. The flexibility of this instrument rapidly increased its popularity amongst all saxophonists whatever their style. The keywork delivered exceptional comfort by removing many playing constraints. On the new neck key, the “S” of Selmer could be found engraved on a blue background. And for the first time, “Mark VI” was equipped with the option of an extra octave vent key known as the harmonic key, used to facilitate the blowing of overtones. A limited production alto featuring a low A also appeared under the label “Mark VI”, which notably counted Ornette Coleman amongst its fans.